Living a life of schedules is an essential tool for success. You may seem not to have time for the most important things in life if you don’t have a plan for every day. A lot of young people waste time because they have not learned to draw schedules.
The best way to start living a life of schedules is by making time for your devotion with God. This is the best way to enrich your relationship with God, which is the most important thing in our walk with him. These are simple and practical steps that will help you have an effective devotion.
Devotion is defined as an earnest attachment to a course or a person. It is a profound dedication. It also means consecration. And as such, it requires adequate preparations.
You must have a particular time for your devotion. Try to keep it short so that you can be consistent. It should not exceed 30 minutes. That specific period of time should not be interrupted. This will help you to be consistent with your devotion.
HAVE YOUR STUDY MATERIALS.
- Inspirational songs
- Confessions (audios)
- A dedicated notebook and pen or a software for making notes.
- A Devotional (Eg: 5 minutes with Pastor Oti)
STRUCTURE FOR DEVOTION
- Thanksgiving – Start by giving God thanks. Praying in the language of the Spirit, give thanks to God and glorify his name. He desires that we give him thanks in all things. Psalm 100:2-4 makes us know that the way to enter God’s presence is through praise and Thanksgiving.
- Commit your day into God’s hands – This aspect of your prayers ensure that you are acknowledging God in all your ways and he shall direct your path as he said in Proverbs 3:6. Commit all your day’s activities into his hand. Psalm 118:25.
- Pray for souls to be won – by any means necessary – Pray that the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ have free course and be glorified all around the world, as it is with you. Pray also that the Lord of the harvest will send forth labourers into the harvest. 1 Thessalonians 2:1, 2 Thessalonians 3:1, Matthew 9:38.
- Pray for people in authority – The peace of our nation is largely dependent on decisions made by our leaders. This is why we must pray for our leaders to have the wisdom of God so that they make decisions in line with God’s will and so that we will live peaceful live. Timothy 2:1-3.
- Pray for your Pastors – Pray for the Pastors in your local assembly that they will increase in the assignment God has given them and that they have peace and provision on every side so as to focus more. Also, pray for their families to do very well and pray for anything that will serve as an unnecessary burden or distraction to be taken away. Pray also that your Pastors may be delivered from wicked and unreasonable men. 2 Thessalonians 3:2, 1 Corinthians 16:9, Romans 15:30, 2 Corinthians 1:11, Philemon 1:22, Ephesians 6:19.
- Pray for your church – Pray that your church will continue to grow in being rooted and grounded in the love of God. That the atmosphere of love will be evident and will permeate every heart in the church. For the church is the pillar and the ground of truth. 1 Timothy 3:15, Ephesians 3:10, 16-19.
- Pray for your family – Bless your family. Pray that they will be blessed in their going out and in their coming in. Pray that they are preserved from every form of evil as they go about their daily activities. Also, pray that they come to know the Lord a lot more and grow in the knowledge of him. Psalm 121:8, Deuteronomy 28:3, 5-8.
- Make your personal request known – Cast all your cares upon God for he cares for you. By making your request know to him and you will experience peace. 1 Peter 5:7, Philippians 4:6-7.
- Ask Holy Spirit to open the word of God to you – Pray for God to open your eyes better to his word and to give you more wisdom and understanding into his word. These are some powerful prayers that you can pray for yourself every day. Ephesians 1:17-18, Ephesians 3:15-22 Colossians 1:9 Philippians 1:9, Acts 4:29-30, 1 Corinthians 1:4-8, 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12, 2 Thessalonians 3:12-13.
DO YOUR CONFESSIONS
Confessing God’s word is one most important aspects of the Christian walk. Have a set of scriptures or inspirational words that you confess every morning. It could either be in writing or in an audio. Try to keep it within two minutes. Hebrews 10:23
- Celebrate the word of God before it comes. This is a culture that God wants his children to be accustomed to. By clapping your hands and showing gratitude for God’s word we get more access the infinite wisdom in his word. Celebration also signifies a state of victory. Psalm 47:1.
- Make notes of all the scriptures mentioned and all the points that came out loud for you. Doing this helps you to memorize scriptures very easily. 2 Timothy 2:15 admonishes us to study to show ourselves approved unto God. Inclining your ears to his sayings as stated in Proverbs 4:20 is a good first step.
- Read the scriptures along with Pastor Oti. It’s important to pause when a scripture is mentioned and read the scriptures along with the Man of God because it helps you gain a better understanding. It also makes memorizing scriptures a lot easier. The Bereans in Acts 17:11 did this. It’s not enough to just listen to the scriptures as they are mentioned. Reading it in addition to hearing it aids your meditation better. Joshua 1:8.
- Discuss what you learned. if you were in a group, share and discuss the points that ministered to you. In Hebrews 10:2, Paul encourages us to continue in fellowship with the brethren. This kind of fellowship is equally as important as what we have with the father.
- Share 5 minutes with Pastor Oti with your family and friends. By doing so, you spread the good news of Jesus and help to make disciples of nations. You can do this via WhatsApp or any other digital platform.
Matthew gives us a gist of Jesus’ last words before he left the earth. In chapter 28:19, he told us to go into the world, preaching the gospel. Be a part of the great commission by doing this.
CONCLUSION – THE KEY IS CONSISTENCY
Consistency is a key point to note. After doing this consistently for a while, you cannot start your day without it. It becomes a vital part of you. Being consistent is what will give you the strong foundation you need for a successful life.